Cyclone Swimming Camps
2018 Cyclone Technique Camp
June 10th - 14th
Resident / Overnight Camper
The 51st Annual Cyclone Technique Camp will continue its rich tradition of “faster swimming through greater knowledge.” Cyclone Swim Campers acquire more knowledge, better stroke technique, and more skill development, through our “skills and drills” camp concept that focuses upon more technique vs. other camps that focus upon workout yardage totals. Our camp develops swimmers looking to refine their techniques in all areas of competitive swimming. Special emphasis is placed on the mechanics of strokes, turns and starts of each competitive stroke. Daily videotaping of campers includes both above and below water digital video analysis. Other areas of the sport that are covered are: mental training, goal setting, race strategy and meet preparation. Setting the Cyclone Swimming camp apart from other camps is our daily, “individual help sessions,” that give each camper the opportunity to seek individual coaching from staff experts. Cyclone Swim Camp is open to all swimmers ages 10 to 18 years.
* Duane Sorenson, Iowa State Women's Swimming Coach
* Trip Hedrick, Former Iowa State Men's Swimming Coach
* Jim Hall, Former Northern Iowa Men's and Women's Swimming Coach
* Kelly Nordell, Iowa State Women's Swimming Assistant Coach
* Teach each athlete the mechanics and techniques of the competitive strokes
* Teach each athlete the proper techniques for all starts and all turns
* Provide each athlete with a sound training philosophy
* Help each athlete develop a winning attitude
* Help each athlete develop camaraderie through the social aspects of sports and competition
Swimming Camp Features
* Full schedule of daily events
* Extensive Stroke, Start, & Turn instruction
* Group and individual instructional sessions
* Three videotape analysis sessions daily including above water and underwater filming
* Motivational staff
* Camp T-shirt
* Cyclone Olympics
Who Can Attend
Boys and Girls ages 10-18 are eligible.
Register Early! Limited Space Available!
Beyer Hall Swimming Pool
Camp size will be limited and will be filled on a first come first serve basis.
The home of Cyclone Swim Camp the Beyer Hall Pool on the campus of ISU. It is located near the Union Drive Association Residence Halls, where overnight campers will be housed. Beyer Hall is home for the ISU Women's Swimming Team. Its deep-water competitive swimming course makes it one of the fastest pools in the Midwest.
• Beyer Hall Pool Features:
• Full digital readout on all six lanes and split-timing capabilities
• Two digital pace clocks
• Digital cameras (3) with TiVo systems.
• Beyer Hall Pool was the site of the 1963 and 1971 NCAA DI Championships
• National Special Olympics Aquatics Championships
• The Iowa Games Aquatics Competition
• Iowa Boys High School Championship Meet,
• Area Boys and Girls High School Conference Championship Meets
All residents (overnight) campers will be housed in the Residence Halls on the Iowa State campus. There will be two campers assigned to each room. Room assignments will be made in advance. If you have a roommate preference, we will try to accommodate your request.
All meals will be provided for the resident campers. Commuter campers will be provided both lunch and dinner meals.
Cancellations and Refunds
Cyclone Swimming Camp LLC requires a $100 nonrefundable deposit. Should a camper leave the camp due to illness, the camp fee is nonrefundable. If the camp fee has been paid in full and an application is withdrawn 14 days or more before the start of camp, you will receive a refund less the $100 deposit. No refunds will be issued within 14 days prior to the first day of camp.
Health and Insurance
The parent/guardian's personal or injury insurance policy will be utilized as the primary insurance for the treatment of injuries and hospitalization of illness or injuries incurred during the sports camps.
IMPORTANT FOR PARENTS
After the camper has registered, please a print and fill out the Required Release and Medical Authorization. Please click on the tab the left side menu of our web page.
Forms can be mailed to:
Cyclone Swim Camps
521 Forest Glen Street
Ames, IA 50014
Note: Completed and signed release forms must be on file to participate. No exceptions will be made. A physician's signature is not required on the medical form if a copy of a recent physical within calendar year of camp end date is attached. The physical must be dated within one year of the end date of camp.
CHECK IN/CHECK OUT
Check-in: Sunday June 10 from 1:15 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Residence Halls
Check-out Thursday, June 14 @ 4:00 p.m. Beyer Hall Pool
More check-in and out information will be provided in your confirmation packet sent out after you register for camp.
What to Bring
Each camper should bring a sleeping bag/linens, pillow, towels, alarm clock, fan, swim suits, warm-ups, goggles and cap, and spending money.
Typical Daily Swim Schedule
7:15 a.m. Breakfast
8:30 a.m. Group meeting and team stretch
8:45 a.m. Stroke lecture/video review
9:15 a.m. Stroke drills/instruction, turn/start instruction, digital video analysis
11:30 a.m. Lunch
1:30 p.m. Group meeting
1:45 p.m. Stroke lecture/videotape review
2:15 p.m. Stroke drills/instruction, turn/start instruction, digital video analysis
4:30 p.m. Dinner
6:30 p.m. Stroke drills/instruction, turn/start instruction, digital video analysis
8:00 p.m. Individual time
10:00 p.m. Lights out